PTSD: National Center for PTSD
Gerard Sanacora, MD, PhD
Gerard Sanacora, MD, PhD
Clinical Neurosciences Division
See staff directory for contact information.
- Yale School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry
- State University of New York (SUNY) at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, NY, 1986, BS
- SUNY at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, NY, 1992, Ph.D.
- SUNY at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, NY, 1994, M.D.
Expertise and Interests
- Stress related changes in neurophysiology
- Rodent models of neuropsychiatric disorders
- Experimental therapeutics
- Clinical trial methodology
Membership in Professional Societies
- Society for Neuroscience
- American College of Neuropsychopharmacology (Fellow)
- Society for Biological Psychiatry
Awards and Honors
- 2011: Recipient of the Joel Elkes Research Award for outstanding contributions to Psychopharmacology from the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology
- 2009: Recipient of the ANNA-MONIKA-FOUNDATION Award for the investigation of the biological substrate and functional disturbances of depression
- 1999: Recipient of Charles A. Dana Foundation Award for Clinical Hypotheses in Neuroscience
Sanacora G, Banasr M. From pathophysiology to novel antidepressant drugs: glial contributions to the pathology and treatment of mood disorders. Biol Psychiatry. 2013 Jun 15;73(12):1172-9.
Chowdhury GM, Behar KL, Cho W, Thomas MA, Rothman DL, Sanacora G. (1)H-[(13)C]-Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy Measures of Ketamine's Effect on Amino Acid Neurotransmitter Metabolism. Biol Psychiatry, 2012 Jun 1;71(11):1022-5.
Popoli M, Yan Z, McEwen BE, Sanacora G, The Stressed Synapse: The Impact of Stress and Glucocorticoids on Glutamate Transmission, Nature Reviews Neuroscience, 2011 Nov 30;13(1):22-37.
Valentine G, Mason GF, Gomez R, Fasula M, Watzl J, Pittman B, Krystal JH, Sanacora G. The antidepressant effect of ketamine is not associated with changes in occipital amino acid neurotransmitter content as measured by [1H]-MRS. Psychiatry Research: Neuroimaging 2011 Feb 28;191(2):122-7
Sanacora G, Treccani G, Popoli M. Towards a glutamate hypothesis of depression An emerging frontier of neuropsychopharmacology for mood disorders. Neuropharmacology. 2012 Jan;62(1):63-77
Banasr, M., Chowdhury, G.M.I., Twillenger, R., Newton S., Duman, R.S., Behar K., Sanacora, G. Stress-induced glial pathology and depressive-behaviors are prevented by riluzole. Molecular Psychiatry. Mol Psychiatry. 2010 May;15(5):501-11.
Members of the press interested in contacting this staff member to schedule an interview should reach out to the Division contact for the press.