PTSD: National Center for PTSD
Continuing Education - Help
This section brings together free in-depth Continuing Education resources for the Professional community concerned with trauma.
Many of the courses offered by the Center are in Flash, PowerPoint or Audio Podcasts format. To view them you must have the latest version of Adobe Flash Player or PowerPoint (or the free PowerPoint Viewer) installed. These are available on the VA Viewer Software page. Stream or download audio podcast or use iTunes.
Flash files will play automatically when you click the link. Please note that Flash will not work on iPhone or iPad devices.
A transcript is available in the 'Notes' section of the player.Keyboard commands for your screen reader
To navigate through Flash courses using assistive technology:
- Spacebar will Play and Pause
- Arrow Left, Arrow Up, or Page Up will Play Previous Slide
- Arrow Right, Arrow Down, or Page Down will Play Next Slide
- Home key will Play First Slide
- End key will Play Last Slide
- O key will show the Outline tab
- T key will show the Thumbnails tab
- S key will show the Search tab
- N key will show the Notes tab
- V key will Toggle Display View Modes
- M key will Toggle Audio Mute
Course modules with audio narration by the instructor are packaged in ZIP format to reduce file size and download time. Each package includes one PowerPoint Slideshow file (the course module) and several MP3 audio files (the narration).
A text-only transcript is also available.
- After downloading the course package from the module page, unzip the package (instructions below).
- After unzipping, open the folder containing the PowerPoint and audio files. Double-click the PowerPoint Slideshow file to view the course. NOTE: Do not move any files out of the folder, or the audio will not play correctly.
- The narration will play automatically as you advance to each new slide. At the conclusion of the narration for each slide, you will hear a tone indicating you may advance to the next slide when you are ready to do so.
- Click the speaker icon located in the bottom left corner of each slide to stop and restart the narration, or press M on your keyboard to mute volume.
How to Unzip Downloaded Files
Windows XP users: Right-click on the .zip file you downloaded, choose "Extract All..." from the popup menu, and follow the Extraction Wizard instructions.
Mac OS X users (10.3 and later): Double-click on the .zip file you downloaded.
Users of older operating systems: You will need to download a helper utility to unzip the files. Windows users may download a free evaluation version of WinZip; Macintosh users may download a free version of Stuffit Expander. After downloading and installing the appropriate helper utility for your computer, follow the instructions provided with the software to unzip the course module and audio files.
Start the audio player under "Listen to Podcast". To download mp3 files on your computer, right click on the audio player and save the file. If you prefer, use iTunes to manage the podcast. No credit is given for listening to the podcast. To earn free credits (if offered), you will need to watch the course, read the brochure and take/submit the test.
If you experience difficulty with the course files, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We are here to help.