PTSD: National Center for PTSD
Terence M. Keane, PhD
Terence M. Keane, PhD
Behavioral Science Division
See staff directory for contact information.
- Boston University School of Medicine, Professor of Psychiatry and Assistant Dean for Research
- University of Mississippi Medical Center/VA Jackson Consortium, Predoctoral Clinical Internship, 1978
- Binghamton University, Psychology, PhD, 1978
- University of Rochester, Psychology, BA, 1973
Expertise and Interests
- Posttraumatic stress disorder: Conceptual models, assessment, and treatment
- Cognitive behavioral approaches to anxiety management
- Addictive behaviors
Membership in Professional Societies
- Society of Clinical Psychology (President, 2015)
- American Psychological Association (Fellow: Divisions 12, 18, 44, 56)
- Association for Behavioral & Cognitive Therapy
- Association for Advancement of Psychology
- Association of VA Psychology Leaders (President, 2004-5)
- International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies (President 1996-1997)
- Association for Psychological Science (Fellow)
- Anxiety & Depression Association of America (President 2012-2014)
Awards and Honors
- Distinguished Scientific Contributions to Clinical Psychology Award, American Psychological Association, Society for Clinical Psychology
- Lifetime Achievement Award, International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies
- Outstanding Researcher in Cognitive Behavior Therapy, Association for Behavioral & Cognitive Therapy
Zuromski, K.L., Ustun, B., Hwang, I., Keane, T.M., Marx, B.P., Stein, M.B., Ursano, R.J., Kessler, R.C. (In press.) Developing an optimal short-form of the PTSD Checklist for DSM-5 (PCL-5). Depression and Anxiety.
Millner, A.J., den Ouden, H.E.M., Gershman, S.J., Glenn, C.R., Kearns, J., Bornstein, A.M., Marx, B.P., Keane, T.M., Nock, M.K. (2019). Suicidal thoughts and behaviors are associated with an increased decision-making bias for active responses to escape aversive states. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 128, 106-118. doi: 10.1037/abn0000395
Barnes, J. B., Presseau, C., Jordan, A. H., Kline, N. K., Young-McCaughan, S., Keane, T. M., Peterson, A. L., Litz, B. T., and the Consortium to Alleviate PTSD. (2018). Common data elements for military-related PTSD research applied in the Consortium to Alleviate PTSD. Military Medicine. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1093/milmed/usy226
Peterson, A.L., Foa, E., Blount, T., McLean, C.,P., Shah, D.V., Young-McCaughan............Keane, T.M. (2018) Intensive Prolonged Exposure Therapy for Combat-Related Posttraumatic Stress Disorder: Design and Methodology of a Randomized Clinical Trial. Contemporary Clinical Trials, 72, 126-136. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cct.2018.07.016
Green, J.D., Kearns, J.C., Rosen, R.C., Keane, T.M., & Marx, B.P. (2018). Evaluating the effectiveness of safety plans for military veterans: Do safety plans tailored to veteran characteristics decrease suicide risk? Behavior Therapy. 49(6):931-938. PMID: 30316491.
Members of the press interested in scheduling an interview please see the contact for the media page.