PTSD: National Center for PTSD
Steven Southwick, MD
Steven Southwick, MD
Clinical Neurosciences Division
See staff directory for contact information.
- Yale University School of Medicine, Glenn H. Greenberg Professor of Psychiatry, PTSD and Resilience
- Yale University School of Medicine, Professor of Psychiatry
- Yale Child Study Center, Professor of Psychiatry
- Mount Sinai School of Medicine, Adjunct Professor of Psychiatry
- MA, Honorary Degree, Yale University, 1998
- MD, George Washington Medical School, 1980
- BA, Yale University, 1974
Expertise and Interests
- Risk and resilience factors in PTSD
- Neurobiology of PTSD and resilience
Membership in Professional Societies
- Ad Hoc Reviewer, Institute of Medicine
- American Psychiatric Association
- Board of Directors, Viktor Frankel International Society for Logotherapy
Awards and Honors
- Inaugural Glenn H. Greenberg Professor of Psychiatry, PTSD and Resilience
- Best Doctors in America
- Joseph B. Fabry Founders Award, International Viktor Frankl Society
Southwick, S. M., & Charney, D. S. (2012). The science of resilience: Implications for the prevention and treatment of depression. Science, 338, 79-82. doi:10.1126/science.1222942
Pietrzak, R. H. & Southwick, S. M. (2011).Psychological resilience in OEF-OIF veterans: Application of a novel classification approach and examination of demographic and psychosocial correlates. Journal of Affective Disorders, 133, 560-568. doi:10.1016/j.jad.2011.04.028
Southwick, S. M. & Charney, D. S. (2012). Resilience: The science of mastering life's greatest challenges. New York, NY: Cambridge University Press.
Southwick, S. M., Pietrzak, R. & White, G. (2011). Interventions to enhance resilience-related construction in adults. In S. Southwick, B. T. Litz, D. Charney, M. J. & Friedman (Eds), Resilience and mental health: Challenges across the lifespan (pp. 289-306). Cambridge, England: Cambridge University Press.
Members of the press interested in contacting this staff member to schedule an interview should reach out to the Division contact for the press.