PTSD: National Center for PTSD
Ann Rasmusson, M.D.
Ann Rasmusson, M.D.
Women's Health Sciences Division
See staff directory for contact information.
- Yale University School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry, Residency 1991-1994
- Yale University School of Medicine, Department of Pharmacology & Child Study Center, Fellowship in Neuropsychopharmacology, 1987-1991
- Johns Hopkins Children's Medical and Surgical Center, Department of Pediatrics, Internship and Residency, 1984-1987
- University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, M.D., 1984
Expertise and Interests
- Biomarkers and the Neurobiology of PTSD in Women; Gender Differences in the Neurobiology of PTSD
- Shared Neurobiology of PTSD and Common PTSD Comorbidities (nicotine dependence, chronic pain, depression, TBI, and metabolic syndrome)
- Psychopharmacological Treatment of PTSD
Membership in Professional Societies
- Society for Neuroscience
- Society of Biological Psychiatry
- International Society of Traumatic Stress Studies
Awards and Honors
- National Merit Scholarship Finalist
- Phi Kappa Phi National Fellowship Finalist
- First Place Award for Research, University of North Dakota School of Medicine
- American Medical Association Rock Sleyster Memorial Award for Outstanding Promise in Psychiatry
- Society of Biological Psychiatry DISTA Fellowship Award
- NIDA/ORWH BIRCWH Scholar Award (Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women's Health)
- National Trainer: VA Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT) for PTSD Dissemination Program
- Outstanding Teacher of the Year, Harvard South Shore Residency Program, PGIII Year
- "Best Doctors" (national database of expert physicians)
Familoni, B. O., Gregor, K., Dodson, T., Krzywicki, A. T., Lowery, B. J. Jr., Suvak, M., Rasmusson A. M.: (in press) Forward-looking infrared measurement of sympathetic nervous system activity in trauma-exposed individuals with and without PTSD. Psychophysiology.
Scioli-Salter ER, Otis JD, Forman DE, Gregor K, Valovski I, Rasmusson AM: The Shared Neuroanatomy and Neurophysiology of Comorbid Chronic Pain & PTSD: Therapeutic Implications. Clinical Journal of Pain, 31:363-374, 2015.
Rasmusson AM, Shalev A. "Integrating the Neuroendocrinology, Neurochemistry, and Neuroimmunology of PTSD to Date and the Challenges Ahead", in Friedman, M., Keane T., Resick, P. (eds). Handbook of PTSD, Second Edition, Guilford Publications, Inc, New York, NY, pp 166-189, 2014
Pinna G, Rasmusson AM. Ganaxolone improves behavioral deficits in a mouse model of post-traumatic stress disorder. Frontiers in Cellular Neuroscience, 8:1-11, 2014.
Pitman RK, Rasmusson AM, Koenen KC, Shin LM, Orr SP, Gilbertson MW, Milad MR, Liberzon I: Biology of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder. Nature Reviews Neuroscience, 13:769-87, 2013.
Members of the press interested in contacting this staff member to schedule an interview should reach out to the Division contact for the press.