PTSD: National Center for PTSD
Melissa Ming Foynes, PhD
Melissa Ming Foynes, PhD
MST Support Team
Women's Health Sciences Division
See staff directory for contact information.
- VA Boston Healthcare System, Postdoctoral Fellowship in Posttraumatic Stress Disorder, 2011
- Yale University School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry, Predoctoral Internship in Clinical and Community Psychology, 2010
- University of Oregon, Clinical Psychology, PhD, 2010
- University of Oregon, Clinical Psychology, MS, 2005
- American University, Psychology, BA, 2003
Expertise and Interests
- Impact of diversity and discrimination on trauma and recovery
- Veterans of minority status (e.g., due to ethnicity, gender identity, sexuality)
- Enhancing trauma-informed practice and education across the continuum of care
- Initiatives targeting community and institutional responses to trauma survivors
- Effective trauma-related clinical supervision and training
Membership in Professional Societies
- International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies
- American Psychological Association, Divisions 35, 45, 56
Awards and Honors
- I CARE Award for Outstanding LGBT Veteran Services
- Lynne Stevens Research Award, Boston University School of Medicine
- Clarence and Lucille Dunbar Award, College of Arts and Sciences, University of Oregon
- Minority Mental Health Research Fellowship, American Psychological Association
- Center on Diversity and Community Research Award, University of Oregon
- Charles B. Ferster Award for Excellence in Psychology, American University
- Ronald E. McNair Scholar, American University
Foynes, M. M., Smith, B. N., & Shipherd, J. C. (2015). Associations between race- and sex-based discrimination, health and functioning: A longitudinal study of Marines. Medical Care, 53(4 Suppl 1):S128-35. doi: 10.1097/MLR.0000000000000300.
Foynes, M. M., Platt, M., Hall, G. N., & Freyd, J. J. (2014). The impact of Asian values and victim perpetrator closeness on the disclosure of emotional, physical, and sexual abuse. Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice & Policy, 6, 134-141. doi: 10.1037/a0032098.
Foynes, M. M., Shipherd, J. C., & Harrington, E. F. (2013). Race and gender discrimination in the Marines. Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology, 19(1), 111-119. doi: 10.1037/a0030567
Blosnich, JR., Foynes, M. M., & Shipherd, J.C. (2013). Health Disparities Among Sexual Minority Women Veterans. Journal of Women's Health, 22, 631-636. doi:10.1089/JWH.2012.4214.
Klest, B., Freyd, J. J., & Foynes, M. M. (2013). Trauma exposure and posttraumatic symptoms in Hawaii: Gender, ethnicity, and social context. Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice, and Policy, 5, 409-416. doi: 10.1037/a0029336
Members of the press interested in contacting this staff member to schedule an interview should reach out to the Division contact for the press.