PTSD: National Center for PTSD
Avron Spiro, PhD
Avron Spiro, PhD
Behavioral Science Division
See staff directory for contact information.
- Boston University School of Public Health, Research Professor of Epidemiology
- Boston University School of Medicine, Research Professor of Psychiatry
- Henry Goldman School of Dental Medicine, Associate Professor of Health Policy and Health Services Research
- The Pennsylvania State University, Human Development and Family Studies, PhD, 1982
- Emory University, Psychology, BA, 1973
Expertise and Interests
- Long-term effects of military service on health and well-being
- Trauma and PTSD in aging Veterans
- Design, conduct, and analysis of longitudinal studies
Membership in Professional Societies
- American Psychological Association (Fellow)
- Gerontological Society of America (Fellow)
- Psychometric Society
- Academy of Behavioral Medicine Research
Awards and Honors
- Research Career Scientist Award, VA CSR&D, 2008 - 2013
- Adolph Kammer Merit in Authorship Award from the American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 2005
Cook, J. M., Kaloupek, D., & Spiro, A. III. (in press) Trauma in older adults. In T.M. Keane, P. A. Resick, & M. J. Friedman (Eds.), Handbook of PTSD: Science and practice - A comprehensive handbook (2nd ed.). New York: Guilford Press.
Spiro, A. III & Settersten, R.A. Jr. (Editors), (2012). Military service in the life course: Implications for later-life health and well-being. Research in Human Development, 9(3). doi: 10.1080/15427609.2012.705551
Osei-Bonsu, P.E., Spiro, A. III, Schultz, M.R., Ryabchenko, K.A., Smith, E., Herz, L., & Eisen, S.V. (2012). Is DSM-IV Criterion A2 associated with PTSD diagnosis and symptom severity? Journal of Traumatic Stress, 25, 368-75. doi: 10.1002/jts.21720
Schnurr, P. P., Spiro, A. III, Vielhauer, M. J., Findler, M., & Hamblen, J.L. (2002). Trauma in the lives of older men: Findings from the Normative Aging Study. Journal of Clinical Geropsychology, 8, 175-87. doi: 10.1023/A:1015992110544
Spiro, A. III, Schnurr, P.P., & Aldwin, C.M. (1997). A life-span perspective on the effects of military service. Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 30, 91-128.
Members of the press interested in contacting this staff member to schedule an interview should reach out to the Division contact for the press.