PTSD: National Center for PTSD
Jillian C. Shipherd, PhD
Jillian C. Shipherd, PhD
Clinical Research Psychologist
Women's Health Sciences Division
See staff directory for contact information.
- Boston University School of Medicine, Associate Professor of Psychiatry
- State University of New York at Buffalo, Clinical Psychology, PhD, 2001
- State University of New York at Buffalo, Psychology, MA, 1998
- State University of New York at Albany, Psychology, BA, 1991
Expertise and Interests
- Risk and resilience factors in PTSD
- Cognitive facets of trauma recovery
- Interface of mental and physical health in trauma recovery
- Sexual and gender minority treatment
Membership in Professional Societies
- International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies
- American Psychological Association
- Anxiety Disorders Association of America
- Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies
- World Professional Association for Transgender Health
Awards and Honors
- Award for Distinguished Contribution to Education and Training for 2014: Society for the Psychological Study of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Issues (Division 44) of the American Psychological Association
- Top 25 Diversity Councils from National Association of Diversity Councils
- Special Contribution Award from Department of Veterans Affairs
Shipherd, J.C. & Fordiani, J. (2015). The Application of Mindfulness in Coping with Intrusive Thoughts Cognitive and Behavioral Practice. Cognitive and Behavioral Practice. Doi: 10.1016/j.cbpra.2014.06.001
Shipherd, J.C., Clum, G., Suvak, M.K. & Resick, P.A. (2013). Treatment-related reductions in PTSD and changes in physical health symptoms in women. Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 37(3) 423-433.doi: 10.1007/s10865-013-9500-2
Foynes, M.M., Smith, B. & Shipherd, J.C. (in press). Associations between race-and gender-based discrimination, health and functioning: A longitudinal study of Marines. Medical Care
Thordardottir, E.B., Valdimarsdottir, U.A., Hansdottir, I., Resnick, H., Shipherd, J.C., & Gudmundsdottir, B. (2015) Posttraumatic stress and other health consequences of catastrophic avalanches: A 16-year follow-up of survivors. Journal of Anxiety Disorders, 32, 103-111.
Kauth, M., Shipherd, J.C., Lindsay, J., Blosnich, J.R. Brown, G., & Jones, K.T. (2014). Access to care for transgender veterans in the Veterans Health Administration: 2006-2013. American Journal of Public Health, 104(S4), S532-S534.
Shipherd, J.C., Clum, G., Suvak, M.K. & Resick, P.A. (in press). Treatment-related Reductions in PTSD and Changes in Physical Health Symptoms in Women. Journal of Behavioral Medicine.
Blosnich, J., Brown, G.R., Shipherd J.C., Piegari, R, & Bossarte R. (in press). Prevalence of Gender Identity Disorder and Suicide Risk Among Transgender Veterans Utilizing Veterans Health Administration (VHA) Care. American Journal of Public Health.
Schuster, J., Shipherd, J.C., Suvak, M.K., Morrison, J., Vogt, D., King, L.A. & King, D.W. (in press). Posttraumatic Stress Symptoms as a Mediator of Warzone Exposure and Physical Health Symptoms in Men and Women. Journal of Traumatic Stress.
Smith, B. N., Vaughn, R. A., Vogt, D. S., King, D. W., King, L. A., & Shipherd, J. C. (2013). Main and interactive effects of social support in predicting mental health symptoms in men and women following military stressor exposure. Anxiety, Stress, & Coping, 26, 52-69. PMID: 22098413.
Vogt, D., Shipherd, J.C. & Resick, P.A. (2012). Posttraumatic Maladaptive Beliefs Scale: Evolution of the Personal Beliefs and Reactions Scale. Assessment, 19(3), 308-317.
Members of the press interested in contacting this staff member to schedule an interview should reach out to the Division contact for the press.