PTSD: National Center for PTSD
Karen S. Mitchell, PhD
Karen S. Mitchell, PhD
Clinical Research Psychologist
Women's Health Sciences Division
See staff directory for contact information.
- Boston University School of Medicine, Assistant Professor of Psychiatry
- Louis Stokes Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Predoctoral Internship, 2009
- Virginia Commonwealth University, Counseling Psychology, PhD, 2009
- Virginia Commonwealth University, Counseling Psychology, MS, 2005
- Virginia Commonwealth University, Psychology, BS, 2002
Expertise and Interests
- Comorbidity of eating disorders, obesity, and PTSD
- Etiology and prevention of eating disorders, obesity, and PTSD, particularly regarding the interplay of genetic and environmental factors
- Statistical genetics, including novel approaches to gene association and network analysis
- Quantitative methodology, particularly structural equation modeling and hierarchical linear modeling
- Complementary and alternative treatment approaches to PTSD and eating disorders
Membership in Professional Societies
- Academy for Eating Disorders
Awards and Honors
- Kenneth S. Kendler Award for Excellence in Predoctoral Studies, Virginia Institute for Psychiatric and Behavioral Genetics
- Counseling Psychology Student of the Year, Virginia Commonwealth University
Iverson, K.M., Dick, A., McLaughlin, K.A., Smith, B.N., Bell, M.E., Cook, N., Gerber, M.R., & Mitchell, K.S. (in press). Exposure to interpersonal violence and its associations with psychiatric morbidity in a U.S. national sample: A gender comparison. Psychology of Violence.
Mitchell, K.S., Mazzeo, S.E., Schlesinger, M.R., Brewerton, T.D., & Smith, B.N. (2012). Comorbidity of partial and subthreshold PTSD among men and women with eating disorders in the National Comorbidity Survey-Replication study. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 45, 307-315. PILOTS ID: 37450
Mitchell, K.S., Wells, S., Mendes, A., & Resick, P. (2012). Treatment improves symptoms shared by PTSD and disordered eating. Journal of Traumatic Stress, 25, 535-542. PILOTS ID: 87062
Mitchell, K.S., Neale, M.C., Bulik, C.M., Lowe, M., Maes, H.H., Kendler, K.S., & Mazzeo, S.M. (2011). An investigation of weight suppression in a population-based sample of female twins. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 44, 44-49.
Mitchell, K.S., Neale, M.C., Bulik, C.M., Aggen, S.H., Kendler, K.S., & Mazzeo, S.E. (2010). Binge eating disorder: A symptom-level investigation of genetic and environmental influences on liability. Psychological Medicine, 40, 1899-1906.
Members of the press interested in contacting this staff member to schedule an interview should reach out to the Division contact for the press.