PTSD: National Center for PTSD
Family and Friends
Family and Friends
This section provides information about the effects of trauma on families, children, relationships, and communities.
You Can Also
General Information on PTSD and Relationships
- Effects of PTSD on Family | Efectos del TEPT Sobre la Familia
Describes family problems and common reactions family members have when a loved one has PTSD.
- Relationships and PTSD
Describes how trauma reactions can sometimes get in the way of closeness and connecting with others.
- Help for Family and Friends | Asistencia para Familiares y Amigos
Learn about resources to help you take care of yourself while supporting someone with PTSD.
- Helping a Family Member Who Has PTSD | Cómo Ayudar a un Familiar que Tiene TEPT
Ways you can help a loved one with PTSD and ways you can help yourself.
- Cognitive Processing Therapy: Help Your Loved One during Treatment
If someone you love is starting CPT, learn about the treatment and how you can offer support.
- Prolonged Exposure: Help Your Loved One during Treatment
If someone you love is starting PE, learn about the treatment and how you can offer support.
Information for Military Families
- Help Your Veteran Get Needed Care | Ayudar al Veterano para que Reciba la AtenciÃ³n Necesaria
Learn how you can help family and friends who are Veterans seek care.
- Partners of Veterans with PTSD: Common Problems
Common problems in relationships where one or both partners has PTSD.
- Return from War
Page of resources with information about deployment for families and children of service members. Resources include full-color booklets, interactive videos, and fact sheets.
PTSD and Children
- PTSD in Children and Teens
An overview of how traumatic experiences affect children and teenagers. Provides information on treatment.
- When a Child's Parent Has PTSD
Explains the common problems experienced by children of Veterans or other adults with PTSD. Provides recommendations for how to cope with these difficulties.
- Child Sexual Abuse
Information on the effects of child sexual abuse, and what you can do to help keep children safe.
- Community Violence: Effects of Children and Teens
Describes how neighborhood violence affects young people, and gives resources that can help.
- Media Coverage of Traumatic Events
Learn how media (news, movies, etc.) can affect your stress level or harm children, and read about how to reduce bad effects.
- Terrorist Attacks and Children: Information for Caregivers
Discusses how children respond to events of terrorism, and tips for what caregivers can do.
- Very Young Trauma Survivors: The Role of Attachment
Discusses trauma in infants and young children, with a special focus on the role of child-caregiver attachment.