Here is information about the effects of war on Veterans and others. These fact sheets cover several different topics, including female Veterans and older Veterans.
- Mental Health Effects of Serving in Afghanistan and Iraq
An overview of the mental health effects of serving in OEF/OIF.
- Aging Veterans and Posttraumatic Stress Symptoms
Describes how older Veterans may develop symptoms later in life. Discusses what can help.
- Children Coping with Deployment
Explains how children react to a parent's going to war, with suggestions for helping children cope.
- Coping When a Family Member Has Been Called to War
Discusses the issues family face before, during, and after a partner is deployed to a war. Suggestions to help families cope are presented.
- Effects of the Persian Gulf War on U.S. Veterans
Summarizes the psychological and physical effects that Gulf War Veterans experience and what is known about Gulf War illness.
- Acts of Violence, Terrorism, or War: Triggers for Veterans
Describes how Veterans may respond to traumatic events such as a terrorist attack. Provides a list of tips to help Veterans cope with such events.
- How Deployment Stress Affects Families | Dé qué Manera el Estrés de una Movilización Puede Afectar a las Familias
The deployment of a service member to a combat zone can be extremely challenging for a family.
- Military Sexual Trauma
Find out what military sexual trauma is, how common it is, and what you can do about it.
- Rape of Women in a War Zone
Discusses war-related rape of civilian women in a war zone such as Bosnia or Darfur.
- Traumatic Brain Injury and PTSD
Discusses TBI, its relationship to PTSD, ways to cope, and TBI in Veterans.
- Traumatic Stress in Women Veterans
Discusses stressors faced by women Veterans and what can help.
See last Reviewed/Updated Date below.