PTSD: National Center for PTSD
Effective treatments for PTSD exist. Learn about treatment options and care after trauma. (NOTE: The National Center for PTSD does not provide direct clinical care or individual referrals.*)
- Treatment of PTSD | Tratamiento del TEPT
Describes the treatments shown to be effective for PTSD and what you can expect from your therapist.
- Cognitive Processing Therapy | Terapia de Procesamiento Cognitivo
One of the treatments shown by research to be effective for PTSD.
- Prolonged Exposure Therapy | Terapia de Exposición Prolongada
Explains one of the most effective treatments for PTSD.
- Understanding PTSD
Provides information about PTSD and its treatment, as well as stories from survivors.
- Disaster Mental Health Treatment
Discusses the range of interventions used after disaster to help survivors and communities recover.
Getting Started with Treatment
- What Can I Do if I Think I Have PTSD? | ¿Qué Puedo Hacer si Creo que Tengo el Trastorno por Estrés Postraumático?
Learn what you can do if you think you have PTSD.
- How to Talk to Your Doctor about Trauma and PTSD
Provides a brief checklist and questions you might want to ask a health care provider if you have been through a trauma.
- Finding a Therapist
Provides information, phone numbers, and websites to help locate care for PTSD.
- Choosing a Therapist | Cómo Elegir un Terapeuta
Provides information and suggestions for choosing a therapist, including questions to ask about therapy and payment.
- Types of Therapists
Describes types of professionals who provide therapy and medication for PTSD and trauma issues.
- What's Stopping You? Overcome Barriers to Care
Describes barriers to getting care for PTSD, such as stigma. Suggests ways to overcome things that may prevent help seeking.
Treatment Information for Veterans
- Help for Veterans with PTSD
Answers to some questions about PTSD and service-connected disability that are frequently asked by Veterans. Provides information about resources for treatment.
- PTSD Treatment Programs in the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
Information on treatment for PTSD within the Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Women's Mental Health Services in the VA
Describes services offered to women Veterans, including the Women Veterans Health Care Program.
*Because the National Center for PTSD has emerged as the world's expert on PTSD and traumatic stress, many people ask if we provide direct treatment services. The National Center for PTSD does not provide direct clinical care or individual referrals. See Where to Get Help for PTSD.