PTSD: National Center for PTSD
Michael Esterman, PhD
Michael Esterman, PhD
Behavioral Science Division
See staff directory for contact information.
- Associate Professor, Department of Psychiatry, Boston University School of Medicine
- Lecturer, Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School
- Johns Hopkins University, Dept. of Psychological & Brain Sciences, Baltimore, MD, Postdoctoral fellow, 2006-2008
- University of California, Berkeley, CA; Ph.D. in Psychology, 2006
- University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA; B.A. in Psychology, 1997
Expertise and Interests
- Neurobiology of PTSD
- Cognitive neuroscience
- Sustained attention
- Functional magnetic resonance imaging
- Non-invasive brain stimulation
Membership in Professional Societies
- International Society of Traumatic Stress Studies
- Cognitive Neuroscience Society
Awards and Honors
- 2018 Spivack Emerging Leaders in Neuroscience Award from Boston University
Esterman, M., Noonan, S., Rosenberg, M., & DeGutis, J. (2013). In the Zone or Zoning Out? Tracking Behavioral and Neural Fluctuations During Sustained Attention. Cerebral Cortex, 23, 11, 2712-2723.
Fortenbaugh, F. C., DeGutis, J., Germine, L., Wilmer, J. B., Grosso, M.*, Russo, K., & Esterman, M. (2015). Sustained attention across the life span in a sample of 10,000 dissociating ability and strategy. Psychological Science, 26(9), 1497-1510.
Fortenbaugh, F. C., DeGutis, J., & Esterman, M. (2017). Recent theoretical, neural, and clinical advances in sustained attention research. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 1396: 70-91.
Esterman, M., Stumps, A., Jagger-Rickels, A., Rothlein, D., DeGutis, J., Fortenbaugh, F., ... & McGlinchey, R. (2020). Evaluating the evidence for a neuroimaging subtype of posttraumatic stress disorder. Science Translational Medicine, 12(568).
Stumps, A., Jagger-Rickels, A., Rothlein, D., Amick, M., Park, H., Evans, T., ... & Esterman, M. (2021). Connectome-based functional connectivity markers of suicide attempt. Journal of Affective Disorders, 283, 430-440.
Members of the press interested in scheduling an interview please see the contact for the media page.