PTSD: National Center for PTSD
Barbara Niles, PhD
Barbara Niles, PhD
Behavioral Science Division
See staff directory for contact information.
- Boston University School of Medicine, Assistant Professor of Psychiatry
- Boston VA Medical Center, National Center for PTSD, Clinical Psychology Fellow, 1993
- Tufts University School of Medicine/Boston VA Medical Center, Predoctoral Internship 1991
- Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey, Clinical Psychology, PhD, 1993
- Harvard University, Psychology and Social Relations, A.B., 1982
Expertise and Interests
- Evaluation of complementary and alternative medicine approaches in the treatment of PTSD
- Health and lifestyle behaviors in individuals with PTSD and stress-related problems
- Telehealth delivery of behavioral treatments
Membership in Professional Societies
- International Society of Traumatic Stress Studies
- American Psychological Association
- Association for Psychological Science
Reid, K. F., Banurru, R., Wang, C., Mori, D. L., Niles, B. L. (2019). The effects of Tai Chi mind-body approach on the mechanisms of Gulf War Illness: An umbrella review. Integrative Medicine Research, 8, 167-172. Doi:10.1016/j.imr.2019.05.003.
Niles, B. L., Mori, D.L., Polizzi, C., Pless Kaiser, A., Weinstein, E. S., Gershkovich, M., & Wang, C. (2018). Systematic review of randomized trials of mind-body interventions for PTSD. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 20, 1-24. doi.org/10.1002/jclp.22634.
Niles, B. L., Polizzi, C. P., Voelkel, E., Weinstein, E. S., Smidt, K. & Fisher, L. M. (2018). Initiation, dropout, and outcome from evidence-based psychotherapies in a VA PTSD outpatient clinic. Psychological Services, 496-502. doi:10.1037/ser0000175
Ellison, M. L., Belanger, L. K., Niles, B. L., Evans, L., Bauer, M. S. (2016). Explication and definition of mental health recovery: A systematic review. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research. 45, 91-102. doi:10.1007/s10488-016-0767-9
Niles, B. L., Mori, D. L., Polizzi, C. P., Pless Kaiser, A., Ledoux, A. M., & Wang, C. (2016). Feasibility, qualitative findings and satisfaction of a brief tai chi mind-body programme for veterans with post-traumatic stress symptoms. BMJ Open, 6(11) doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2016-012464
Members of the press interested in scheduling an interview please see the contact for the media page.