PTSD: National Center for PTSD
Family and Friends
Family and Friends
This section provides information about the effects of trauma on families, children, relationships, and communities.
Understanding PTSD: A Guide for Family and Friends | En Espanol
- Veteran's families can call Coaching Into Care: 1-888-823-7458
General Information on PTSD and Relationships
- Effects of PTSD on Family | Efectos del TEPT Sobre la Familia
Describes family problems and common reactions family members have when a loved one has PTSD.
- Relationships and PTSD
Describes how trauma reactions can sometimes get in the way of closeness and connecting with others.
- Help for Family and Friends | Asistencia para Familiares y Amigos
Learn about resources to help you take care of yourself while supporting someone with PTSD.
- Helping a Family Member Who Has PTSD | Cómo Ayudar a un Familiar que Tiene TEPT
Ways you can help a loved one with PTSD and ways you can help yourself.
- Cognitive Processing Therapy: Help Your Loved One during Treatment
If someone you love is starting CPT, learn about the treatment and how you can offer support.
- Prolonged Exposure: Help Your Loved One during Treatment
If someone you love is starting PE, learn about the treatment and how you can offer support.
Information for Military Families
- Help Your Veteran Get Needed Care | Ayudar al Veterano para que Reciba la AtenciÃ³n Necesaria
Learn how you can help family and friends who are Veterans seek care.
- Partners of Veterans with PTSD: Common Problems
Common problems in relationships where one or both partners has PTSD.
- Return from War
Page of resources with information about deployment for families and children of service members. Resources include full-color booklets, interactive videos, and fact sheets.
PTSD and Children
- PTSD in Children and Teens
An overview of how traumatic experiences affect children and teenagers. Provides information on treatment.
- When a Child's Parent Has PTSD
Explains the common problems experienced by children of Veterans or other adults with PTSD. Provides recommendations for how to cope with these difficulties.
- Child Sexual Abuse
Information on the effects of child sexual abuse, and what you can do to help keep children safe.
- Community Violence: Effects of Children and Teens
Describes how neighborhood violence affects young people, and gives resources that can help.
- Media Coverage of Traumatic Events
Learn how media (news, movies, etc.) can affect your stress level or harm children, and read about how to reduce bad effects.
- Terrorist Attacks and Children: Information for Caregivers
Discusses how children respond to events of terrorism, and tips for what caregivers can do.
- Very Young Trauma Survivors: The Role of Attachment
Discusses trauma in infants and young children, with a special focus on the role of child-caregiver attachment.