PTSD: National Center for PTSD
Proper assessment of trauma exposure and PTSD is best accomplished with validated measures. Below you will find information and online courses about assessment tools and best practices.
We provide information on a variety of measures assessing trauma and PTSD. These measures are intended for use by qualified mental health professionals and researchers. The section is organized in the following way:
- Measures authored by National Center staff are available in PDF format to download on the specific measure pages or by request from the Center as noted.
- Measures developed outside of the National Center can be requested via contact information on the page for the specific measure.
- Also available is a comprehensive list of all measures offered.
Using PTSDpubs Database for Assessment Information (formerly PILOTS)
Explains how to search the PTSDpubs database for instruments used in published materials or for articles specific to assessment tools.
FAQs about PTSD Assessment: For Professionals
Provides professionals with answers to frequently asked questions about assessment.
PTSD and DSM-5
Describes the DSM-5 diagnostic criteria for PTSD.
PTSD Screening and Referral: For Health Care Providers
Discusses the importance of screening for traumatic stress symptoms, with specific steps for screening and referral.
Assessing Risk of Violence in Individuals with PTSD
Discusses risk assessment strategies and screening instruments for violent behavior with PTSD and includes tips for providers to reduce risk.
PTSD Assessment and Treatment in Older Adults
Discusses assessment strategies and treatment interventions for older adults based upon patient age and the broader context of aging processes.
Military Sexual Trauma: Issues in Caring for Veterans
Discusses what military sexual trauma (MST) is, its rates, and its effects on survivors, both women and men. Assessment and treatment of MST are also discussed.
- For free trainings and courses on assessment topics, please see the Continuing Education section. Most courses are offered with credits for both VA providers on TMS as well as other providers on TRAIN. More information about TRAIN and how to get credits is in the Continuing Education How to Get Credit.
Other Assessment Sources
Other organizations offering information on measures and how to obtain them include:
- American Psychological Association: PsycTESTS
- Educational Testing Service: Test Link Database
- International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies: Assessing Trauma
- National Child Traumatic Stress Network: Measures Review Database