PTSD: National Center for PTSD
While there are fundamental principles of good trauma treatment that apply to all patients, an understanding of the experiences and needs of specific populations can improve care.
- Provider Guide to Addressing Veterans' Reactions to Current Events in Ukraine
Read tips to check in with and support Veterans who may be experiencing strong emotions related to the invasion in Ukraine.
- Types of Trauma
Read more articles that describe common military traumas and Veteran-specific stressors with treatment considerations.
- Research on Women, Trauma and PTSD
Reviews the research on women's experiences of trauma and PTSD, with a focus on differences between women and men.
People of Color
- Provider Guide to Addressing Patient Reactions to Race-Based Violence During PTSD Treatment
Discusses case formulation and treatment decision-making considerations for providers who face emerging patient needs related to race-based violence events during the course of PTSD therapy.
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder and Racial Trauma (PDF)
This edition of our PTSD Research Quarterly (February, 2021) provides a comprehensive review of the literature on the adverse impact, underlying mechanisms, assessment and treatment of racial trauma and PTSD.
- Racial and Ethnic Disparities in PTSD (PDF)
This edition of our PTSD Research Quarterly (October, 2020) provides a guide to some of the key topics in racial and ethnic disparities in PTSD and PTSD treatment.
- Trauma, Discrimination and PTSD Among LGBTQ+ People
Describes the unique experiences of LGBTQ+ people who have experienced trauma, discrimination and PTSD.
- Assessment and Treatment Considerations for Working With LGBTQ+ Clients With PTSD
Includes considerations for assessment, case conceptualization and treatment approaches for PTSD that are relevant to LGBTQ+ people and offer gender affirming care.
- PTSD Assessment and Treatment in Older Adults
Discusses assessment strategies and treatment interventions for older adults based upon patient age and the broader context of aging processes.
- Posttraumatic Stress Symptoms among Older Adults: A Review
Includes review of research on PTSD in older adults, including trauma exposure, epidemiology, reemergence of symptoms, and Late-Onset Stress Symptomatology (LOSS).
- PTSD and the Family
Provides an overview of the effects of PTSD on family members and includes some general advice for providers.
- How Deployment Stress Affects Children and Families: Research Findings
Discusses research findings on the effects of a parent's deployment on children and spouses. Includes resources for providers and families.
- Partners of Veterans with PTSD: Research Findings
Discusses common problems experienced in relationships in which one or both partners have PTSD and reviews treatment options as well resources for caregivers.
- When a Child's Parent Has PTSD
Explains the common problems experienced by children of Veterans or other adults with PTSD and offers recommendations for how to cope with these difficulties.
- Trauma, PTSD, and Attachment in Infants and Young Children
Discusses epidemiology, diagnosis, and treatment of trauma-related problems in infants and young children, with a special focus on the role of attachment.
- PTSD for Children 6 Years and Younger
Describes the DSM-5 subtype of PTSD in preschool children (ages 6 and younger) and reviews symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment considerations.
- PTSD in Children and Adolescents
Provides an overview of PTSD in children and adolescents, including common causal events, prevalence, risk factors associated with PTSD and other effects of trauma, as well as treatment options.
- Mental Health Aspects of Prolonged Combat Stress in Civilians
Describes how civilians respond to prolonged stress with the intent of helping clinicians predict how U.S. civilians may be affected by the war in Afghanistan.
- Rape of Civilian Women in a War Zone
Discusses civilian rape in war zones or refugee camps with a focus on cultural attitudes and stigma in different countries.
People with Severe Mental Illness
- Effects of Disaster on People with Severe Mental Illness
Discusses the relationship between severe mental illness (SMI) and PTSD following a traumatic event. Includes suggestions for mental health needs of those with SMI following trauma.
You May Also Be Interested In
Understand and develop the components of a culturally responsive case formulation.
Learn best practices for pharmacological treatment for older Veterans with PTSD.
Expert guidance for treating Veterans with PTSD.