PTSD: National Center for PTSD
Jennifer J. Vasterling, PhD
Jennifer J. Vasterling, PhD
Behavioral Science Division
See staff directory for contact information.
- Boston University School of Medicine, Professor of Psychiatry
- Harvard Medical School, Lecturer in Psychiatry
- Boston VA Medical Center, Neuropsychology, Postdoctoral Fellowship, 1989-1991
- Boston VA Medical Center, Clinical (Neuro)Psychology, Internship, 1988-1989
- Vanderbilt University, Psychology, PhD, 1988
- Louisiana State University, Psychology, BS, 1984
Expertise and Interests
- Deployment mental health outcomes
- Neuropsychological and information processing correlates of PTSD
- Application of longitudinal methods to examine trauma-related mental health outcomes
Membership in Professional Societies
- International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies
- Association for Psychological Science
- American Psychological Association (Fellow)
- International Neuropsychological Society
Awards and Honors
- Distinguished Scientific Contributions Award, Division 56, American Psychological Association
- Major Contributor Award, VA South Central Mental Illness Research, Education, and Clinical Center (MIRECC)
- Best Publication by a Senior Investigator, VA South Central MIRECC
Jacobs, S., Dodge, C. P., & Vasterling, J. J. (2019). Posttraumatic stress disorder and neurocognition: A bidirectional relationship? Clinical Psychology Review. Advance online publication. doi: 10.1016/j.cpr.2019.101747
Vasterling, J. J., Aslan, M., Lee, L. O., Proctor, S. P., Ko, J., Jacob, S., & Concato, J. (2018). Longitudinal associations among PTSD symptoms, TBI, and neurocognitive functioning in Army soldiers deployed to the Iraq War. Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society, 34, 311-323.
Brailey, K., Mills, M. A., Marx, B. P., Proctor, S. P., Seal, K. H., Spiro, A. III, Ulloa, E. W., & Vasterling, J. J. (2018). Prospective examination of early associations of Iraq warzone deployment, combat severity, and PTSD with new incident medical diagnoses. Journal of Traumatic Stress, 31,102-113.
Vasterling, J. J., Jacob, S., Rasmusson, A. (2018). Traumatic brain injury and posttraumatic stress disorder: Conceptual, diagnostic, and therapeutic considerations in the context of co-occurrence. Journal of Neuropsychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, 30(2), 91-100.
Vasterling, J. J., Aslan, M., Proctor, S. P., Ko, J., Marx, B. P., Jakupcak, M., Schnurr, P. P., Gleason, T., Huang, G. D., & Concato, J. (2016). Longitudinal examination of posttraumatic stress disorder as a long-term outcome of Iraq War deployment. American Journal of Epidemiology, 184(11), 796-805.
Members of the press interested in scheduling an interview please see the contact for the media page.