PTSD: National Center for PTSD
Shannon E. McCaslin, PhD
Shannon E. McCaslin, PhD
Dissemination and Training Division
See staff directory for contact information.
- Stanford University School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Clinical Associate Professor (Affiliated)
- University of California, San Francisco, Department of Psychiatry, Assistant Professor (vol)
- University of California, San Francisco, Department of Psychiatry, Postdoctoral Scholar, 2003-2006
- University of South Dakota, Clinical Psychology, Ph.D., 2003
- APA Approved Doctoral Certification, Disaster Psychology, 2003
- San Francisco VA Medical Center, Clinical Psychology Internship, 2001-2002
- University of South Dakota, Clinical Psychology, M.A., 1999
- University of Copenhagen, Denmark, Visiting Scholar, 1998
- Michigan State University, Psychology/Hearing & Speech Science, B.A., 1996
Expertise and Interests
- Risk and resilience factors in PTSD
- PTSD related Quality of Life
- Cross-cultural and international aspects of traumatic stress
- Disaster mental health
- Using web-based and mobile technology to improve care
Membership in Professional Societies
- International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies
Awards and Honors
- Recognition Award, American Psychological Association, Division 52 (international)
- VA Mentored Career Development award (CDA-level 2)
- American Psychiatric Association Silver Achievement Award (Program Award: SFVAMC SVHP)
McCaslin, S., Turchik, J., & Hatzfeld, J. (2015). Considerations in treating Veterans with PTSD. In Cloitre, M. & Schynder, U. (Eds.), Evidence-based Treatments for PTSD, 413-430. Switzerland: Springer International Publishing.
McCaslin, S. E., Thiede, J., Vinatieri, T., Passi, H., Bull Lyon, K., Ahern, D. A., Armstrong, K., & Chitaphong, K. (2014). Facilitating Veteransâ€™ academic success: Veterans Integration to Academic Leadership (VITAL). Career Planning & Adult Development Journal, 30, 191-209.
Talbot, L.S., Maguen, S., Metzler, T.J., Schmitz, M., McCaslin, S. E., Richards, A., Perlis, M. L., Posner, D. A., Weiss, B., & Neylan, T. C. (2014). Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia in posttraumatic stress disorder: A randomized controlled trial. Sleep, 37, 327-341.
Dinenberg, R., McCaslin, S. E., Bates, M. N., & Cohen, B. E. (2013). Social support predicts development of post-traumatic stress disorder: Findings from the Heart and Soul Study. American Journal of Health Promotion, 28, 294-297.
McCaslin, S. E., Leach, B., Herbst, E., & Armstrong, K. (2013). Overcoming barriers to care for returning Veterans: Expanding services to college campuses. Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, 50, vii-xiv.
Members of the press: To schedule an interview with this staff member please contact Public Affairs specialist at the corresponding Division.