PTSD: National Center for PTSD
Lauren Sippel, PhD
Lauren Sippel, PhD
Associate Director for Research
See staff directory for contact information.
- Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth, Assistant Professor, Department of Psychiatry
- National Center for PTSD - Clinical Neurosciences Division/VA Connecticut Healthcare System, Postdoctoral Fellowship
- The Pennsylvania State University, PhD, 2014
- University of Mississippi Medical Center and G.V. (Sonny) Montgomery VA Medical Center, Predoctoral Clinical Internship
- Swarthmore College, BA, 2005
Expertise and Interests
- Cognitive, emotional, and interpersonal functioning in PTSD
- Mechanisms of general aggression and intimate partner violence perpetration
- Psychosocial and pharmacological approaches for increasing social connectedness
- Resilience and posttraumatic growth
- Sex differences in PTSD and women's mental health
Membership in Professional Societies
- Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies (ABCT)
- International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies (ISTSS)
Awards and Honors
- VA New England Healthcare System (VISN 1) Career Development Award
- National Psychologist Trainee Register Credentialing Scholarship
- Superior Teaching and Research Award--Penn State College of Liberal Arts
Sippel, L.M., Allington, C.E., Pietrzak, R.H., Harpaz-Rotem, I., Mayes, L.C., & Olff, M. (2017). Oxytocin and stress-related disorders: Neurobiological mechanisms and treatment opportunities. Chronic Stress, 1, 1-15. Doi: 10.1177/2470547016687996.
Sippel, L. M., Mota, N. P., Kachadourian, L. K., Krystal, J. H., Southwick, S. M., Harpaz-Rotem, I., & Pietrzak, R. H. (2016). The burden of hostility in U.S. Veterans: Results from the National Health and Resilience in Veterans Study. Psychiatry Research, 243, 421-430. doi:10.1016/j.psychres.2016.06.040.
Sippel, L. M., Pietrzak, R. H., Charney, D. S., Mayes, L. C., & Southwick, S. M. (2015). How does social support enhance resilience in the trauma-exposed individual? Ecology and Society, 20, 10. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.5751/ES-07832-200410.
Sippel, L. M., & Marshall, A. D. (2013). Posttraumatic stress disorder and fear of emotions: The role of attentional control. Journal of Traumatic Stress, 26, 397-400. doi: 10.1002/jts.21806.
Sippel, L. M., & Marshall, A. D. (2011). Posttraumatic stress disorder symptoms and intimate partner violence perpetration: Evidence for the role of shame processing bias. Journal of Anxiety Disorders, 25, 903-910. doi:10.1016/j.janxdis.2011.05.002.
Members of the press interested in contacting this staff member to schedule an interview should reach out to the Division contact for the press.