PTSD: National Center for PTSD
Anahita Bassir Nia, MD
Anahita Bassir Nia, MD
Clinical Neurosciences Division
See staff directory for contact information.
- Yale University, School of Medicine, Assistant Professor of Psychiatry
- Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, Department of Psychiatry, Addiction Psychiatry Fellowship 2018
- Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Department of Psychiatry, Psychiatry Residency 2016
Expertise and Interests
- Endocannabinoid system alterations in response to trauma or chronic stress
- Effects of trauma factors including developmental and accumulative effects on endocannabinoid system and stress response
- Endocannabinoid system modulation in PTSD treatment and stress response
- Endocannabinoid system alterations in relation to cannabis and opioid use in individuals with PTSD and chronic stress
- Stress response in individuals with PTSD and history of trauma and chronic stress
- Stress-induced relapse in comorbidity of opioid use disorder with PTSD and chronic stress
Membership in Professional Societies
- American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry, Cannabis Interest Committee
- American Society of Clinical Psychopharmacology, CME/Meeting Committee and Program Committee
- College on Problems of Drug Dependence, Publication Committee
- Society of Biological Psychiatry
- American Psychiatric Association
Awards and Honors
- Clinician Scientist Training Program (k12), Division of Substance Use, Department of Psychiatry, Yale School of Medicine (2019)
- American Psychiatric Association (APA) Research Colloquium for Junior Investigators (2017)
- Research in Addiction Medicine Scholars (RAMS) Program fellowship award (2016)
- American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry (AAAP) fellow travel award (2016)
Bassir Nia A, D'Souza C, Cosgrove K, Pietrzak R, Harpaz-Rotem I. Differential effects of childhood vs. adulthood trauma in cannabinoid receptor type 1 (CB1R) availability in post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD): A review of literature and pilot positron emission tomography (PET) study. Biological Psychiatry 89(9, 1) 2021: S328-S329.
Bassir Nia, A., Mann, C.L., Spriggs, S., DeFrancisco, D., Carbonaro, S., Parvez, L., Galynker, I., Perkel, C., & Hurd, Y.L. (2019) The association between synthetic cannabinoid use in relation to psychosis and agitation in an inpatient population and sex implications. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, 80(4).
Bassir, Nia, A., Bender, R., & Harpaz-Rotem, I. (2019) Endocannabinoid system alterations in posttraumatic stress disorder: A review of developmental and accumulative effects of trauma. Chronic Stress, 3: 1-17.
Bassir, Nia, A., Mann, C., Kaur, H., Ranganathan, M. (2018) Cannabis use: Neurobiological, behavioral, and sex/gender considerations. Current Behavioral Neuroscience Report, 5(4):271-280.
Bassir, Nia, A. (2018) Opioid addiction and borderline personality disorder. American Journal of Addiction, 27(1):54-55.
Bassir, Nia, A. Hurd YL. (2018) Cannabidiol, an adjunct player in the antipsychosis arsenal. American Journal of Psychiatry, 175(3), 197-198.
Members of the press interested in scheduling an interview please see the contact for the media page.