PTSD: National Center for PTSD
James Spira, PhD, MPH
James Spira, PhD, MPH
Pacific Islands Division
See staff directory for contact information.
- University of Hawaii, John Burns School of Medicine, Professor of Psychiatry
- Stanford University School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry & Behavioral Medicine, Postdoctoral Fellowship, 1993
- Stanford University School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry & Behavioral Medicine, Internship, 1991
- University of California, Berkeley, Counseling Psychology, PhD, 1991
- University of California, Berkeley, Public Health, MPH, 1987
- University of California, San Diego, Psychology, MA, 1978
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, Psychology, BA, 1976
Expertise and Interests
- The use of technology for facilitating assessment and treatment of PTSD and co-morbid conditions
- The effects of PTSD, TBI, and depression on cognitive and psychosocial functioning
- Home-based Telemental Health for treating PTSD in rural veterans
- Cross-cultural factors in PTSD
Membership in Professional Societies
- American Psychological Association
- International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies
Lathan, C, Spira JL, Bleiberg, J, Vice, J, Tsao, JW (2013). Defense Automated Neurobehavioral Assessment (DANA) - Psychometric Properties of a New Field-Deployable Neurocognitive Assessment Tool. Military Medicine, 178(4), 365-372.
Spira, J. (2012). Stress Inoculation Therapy. In C. R. Figley (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Trauma: An Interdisciplinary Guide (652-656). Los Angeles, CA: Sage Publications.
Spira, J.L. (2011). Do persistent post-concussive symptoms exist? Evidence from epidemiological and laboratory studies. Chapter 49-53. In B. Wiederhold (ed). Coping with Blast-related Traumatic Brain Injuiries in Returning Troops. Washington DC, IOS Press.
Hourani, L, Kizakevisch, P, Hubal, R, Spira, J, Strange, L, Holiday, D., Bryant, S, and McLean, A. (2011). Predeployment Stress Inoculation Traning for Primary Prevention of Combat-Related Stress Disorders. Journal of CyberTherapy & Rehabilitation, 4(1), 101-114.
McLay R, Wood D, Murphy J, Spira J, Wiederhold M, Pyne J, Wiederhold, B.(2011). A Randomized, Controlled Trial of Virtual Reality Exposure Therapy with Arousal Control for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder in Active Duty Service Members with Combat-Related PTSD. CyberTherapy, Behavior, and Social Networking. 4(4), 223-9.
Members of the press interested in contacting this staff member to schedule an interview should reach out to the Division contact for the press.