PTSD: National Center for PTSD
Karen S. Mitchell, PhD
Karen S. Mitchell, PhD
Clinical Research Psychologist
Women's Health Sciences Division
See staff directory for contact information.
- Boston University School of Medicine, Assistant Professor of Psychiatry
- Louis Stokes Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Predoctoral Internship, 2009
- Virginia Commonwealth University, Counseling Psychology, PhD, 2009
- Virginia Commonwealth University, Counseling Psychology, MS, 2005
- Virginia Commonwealth University, Psychology, BS, 2002
Expertise and Interests
- Comorbidity of eating disorders, obesity, and PTSD
- Etiology and prevention of eating disorders, obesity, and PTSD
- Quantitative methodology, including structural equation modeling, hierarchical linear modeling, and statistical genetics
- Treatment approaches to comorbid PTSD and eating disorders
Membership in Professional Societies
- Academy for Eating Disorders
- Eating Disorders Research Society
Awards and Honors
- Academy for Eating Disorders Fellow, 2019
- Kenneth S. Kendler Award for Excellence in Predoctoral Studies, Virginia Institute for Psychiatric and Behavioral Genetics
Huston, J.C., Grillo, A.R., Iverson, K.M., & Mitchell, K.S. (2019). Associations between disordered eating and intimate partner violence mediated by depression and posttraumatic stress disorder symptoms in a female veteran sample. General Hospital Psychiatry, 58, 77-82.
Mitchell, K.S., Wolf, E.J., Lyons, M.J., Goldberg, J.H., & Magruder, K.M. (2018). A co-twin control study of the association between combat exposure, PTSD, and obesity in male veterans. Psychological Medicine, 48, 2449-2452.
Huston, J.C., Iverson, K.M., & Mitchell, K.S. (2018). Associations between healthcare use and disordered eating among female veterans. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 51, 978-983.
Mitchell, K.S., Wolf, E.J., Bovin, M.J., Lee, L., Green, J.D., Rosen, R.C., Keane, T.M., & Marx, B.P. (2017). Network models of DSM-5 PTSD: Implications for ICD-11. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 126, 355-366.
Mitchell, K.S., & Wolf, E.J. (2016). Food addiction, disordered eating, and PTSD: The mediating role of emotion regulation. Psychiatry Research, 243, 23-29.
Members of the press interested in scheduling an interview please see the contact for the media page.