PTSD: National Center for PTSD
Jillian C. Shipherd, PhD
Jillian C. Shipherd, PhD
Clinical Research Psychologist
Women's Health Sciences Division
See staff directory for contact information.
- Boston University School of Medicine, Professor of Psychiatry
- State University of New York at Buffalo, Clinical Psychology, PhD, 2001
- State University of New York at Buffalo, Psychology, MA, 1998
- State University of New York at Albany, Psychology, BA, 1991
Expertise and Interests
- Risk and resilience factors in PTSD
- Cognitive facets of trauma recovery
- Interface of mental and physical health in trauma recovery
- Sexual and gender minority treatment
Membership in Professional Societies
- International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies
- American Psychological Association
- Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies
- World Professional Association for Transgender Health
Awards and Honors
- 2020 Certificate of Commitment: Diversity & Inclusion Modernization Team VHA
- 2019 Laura Brown Award: American Psychological Association Division 35, Psychology of Women, Section 4 Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Concerns.
- 2018 Achievement Award: GLMA: Health Professionals Advancing LGBT Equality
- 2016 Carol Weisman and Gary Chase Gender-Based Research Award: The Women and Gender Health Interest Group of Academy Health. For the paper Factors Affecting Sexual and Gender Minority Women Veterans.
- Award for Distinguished Contribution to Education and Training for 2014: Society for the Psychological Study of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Issues (Division 44) of the American Psychological Association
Livingston, N.A., Berke, D., Scholl, J., Ruben, M., & Shipherd, J. (in press). Addressing diversity in PTSD treatment: Clinical considerations and guidance for the treatment of PTSD in LGBTQ populations. Current Treatment Options in Psychiatry.
Shipherd, J.C., Berke, D. & Livingston, N.A. (2019). Trauma recovery in the transgender community: A minority stress treatment model. Cognitive and Behavioral Practice, 26(4), 629-646. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cbpra.2019.06.001
Livingston, N.A., Berke, D.B., Ruben, M.A., Matza, A.R., & Shipherd, J.C. (2019). Experiences of trauma, discrimination, microaggressions, and minority stress among trauma-exposed LGBT veterans: Unexpected findings and unresolved service gaps. Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice, and Policy, 11(7), 695-703. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/tra0000464
Beckman, K. Shipherd, J.C., Simpson. T.L., & Lehavot, K. (2018) Military sexual assault and mental health in transgender veterans: Results from a nationwide survey. Journal of Traumatic Stress, 31, 181-190. doi:10.1002/jts.22280
Shipherd, J.C., Salters-Pedneault, K., & Fordiani, J. (2016). Evaluating post-deployment training for coping with intrusive cognition: A comparison of training approaches. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 84(11), 960-971. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/ccp0000136
Shipherd, J.C., Salters-Pedneault, K., & Matza, A. (2016). Intrusive cognitive content and post-deployment distress. Journal of Traumatic Stress, 29(4), 301-308. doi: 10.1002/jts.22113
Dardis, C. M., Shipherd, J.C., & Iverson, K. M. (2016). Intimate partner violence among women veterans by sexual orientation. Women & Health. Online First doi: 10.1080/03630242.2016.1202884
Members of the press interested in scheduling an interview please see the contact for the media page.