PTSD: National Center for PTSD
This section brings together free in-depth Continuing Education resources for the Professional community concerned with trauma.
- Time to Complete: 9 hours
- Credits: APA, CA BBS, NBCC, Other Orgs
- Skill Level: Intermediate
CPTWeb is the site for web-based learning of Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT). This training was developed by the National Crime Victims Research and Treatment Center at the Medical University of South Carolina in collaboration with the National Center for PTSD.
CPTWeb has particular focus on treatment of military and combat-related PTSD, although the principles and methods work with any type of trauma that results in PTSD. The site includes step-by-step instructions for each component of CPT, printable scripts and video demonstrations of therapy procedures with expert clinicians.
NOTE: Learners should NOT use the CPTWeb Certificate of Completion to suggest that they are "certified" to deliver CPT.
Goals and Objectives
- Learn how to educate patients about PTSD and explain the nature of their symptoms.
- Learn how to help patients explore how traumatic events have affected their lives.
- Learn about the connections between trauma-related thoughts, feelings, and behaviors.
- Learn how to help the patient remember the traumatic event and experience the emotions associated with it.
- Understand how to increase patients' ability to challenge maladaptive thoughts about the trauma.
- Learn to facilitate patients' exploration of how each of 5 core themes has been affected by their traumatic experiences.
The CPTWeb course is maintained on the MUSC website.