PTSD: National Center for PTSD
Effective treatments for PTSD exist. Learn about treatment options and care after trauma. (NOTE: The National Center for PTSD does not provide direct clinical care or individual referrals.*)
You Can Also
- Treatment of PTSD | Tratamiento del TEPT
Read an overview about the treatments shown to be most effective for PTSD. These include talk therapy and medication options.
- Cognitive Processing Therapy for PTSD
CPT teaches you how change the upsetting thoughts and feelings you have had since your trauma.
- Prolonged Exposure for PTSD
PE teaches you to gradually approach trauma-related memories, feelings and situations that you have been avoiding since your trauma.
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) for PTSD
EMDR helps you process and make sense of your trauma while paying attention to a back-and-forth movement or sound (like a finger waving side to side, a light, or a tone).
- Medications for PTSD
Learn which four medications are most effective for treating PTSD.
- Benzodiazepines and PTSD
Learn how benzodiazepines can get in the way of PTSD treatment.
- Help for Survivors in the Aftermath of Disaster and Mass Violence
Learn about recovery programs for survivors and communities after a disaster.
Getting Started with Treatment
- What Can I Do If I Think I Have PTSD?
Learn what you can do if you think you have PTSD.
- How to Talk to Your Doctor about Trauma and PTSD
Provides a brief checklist and questions you might want to ask a health care provider if you have been through a trauma.
- PTSD Treatment Decision Aid
An online tool to help you compare effective PTSD treatment options and think about which one might be right for you.
- Finding a Therapist
Provides information, phone numbers, and websites to help locate care for PTSD.
- Choosing a Therapist | Cómo Elegir un Terapeuta
Provides information and suggestions for choosing a therapist, including questions to ask about therapy and payment.
- Types of Therapists
Describes types of professionals who provide therapy and medication for PTSD and trauma issues.
- What's Stopping You? Overcome Barriers to Care
Describes barriers to getting care for PTSD, such as stigma. Suggests ways to overcome things that may prevent help seeking.
- Understanding PTSD and PTSD Treatment
Find out more in this quick guide to PTSD Basics.
Treatment Information for Veterans
- Help for Veterans with PTSD
Answers to some questions about PTSD and service-connected disability that are frequently asked by Veterans. Provides information about resources for treatment.
- PTSD Treatment Programs in the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
Information on treatment for PTSD within the Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Women's Mental Health Services in the VA
Describes services offered to women Veterans, including the Women Veterans Health Care Program.
*Because the National Center for PTSD has emerged as the world's expert on PTSD and traumatic stress, many people ask if we provide direct treatment services. The National Center for PTSD does not provide direct clinical care or individual referrals. See Where to Get Help for PTSD.