PTSD: National Center for PTSD
Using AboutFace: Real PTSD Stories
Using AboutFace: Real PTSD Stories
AboutFace is a website featuring real stories of Veterans with PTSD that aims to help Veterans and their families recognize PTSD symptoms and motivate them to seek treatment. Through video testimonial, viewers meet Veterans and their family members, and hear how PTSD has affected them. You can also hear advice from clinicians who treat PTSD.
- Veterans from over six decades of military service candidly describe: how they knew they had PTSD; how PTSD affected the people they love; why they didn't get help right away; and what finally got them into treatment.
- Veterans on AboutFace also share the steps they took to gain control of their lives: what PTSD treatment is like and how it helps.
- The "PTSD Profiles" section includes short films of 10 Veterans who tell the stories of the events that caused their PTSD and what they did to get their lives back on track.
- Family members of Veterans with PTSD share their stories of what it's like to live with someone with PTSD and how treatment changed things.
- Clinician interviews provide an overview of their PTSD treatment process, including: how treatment works; what patients can expect in a session; and general advice based upon concerns raised by the Veterans they've seen.
How Providers Can Use AboutFace
AboutFace testimonials give clinicians insight into the experiences of their patients. Clinicians and providers can share AboutFace with:
- patients in individual and group treatment settings
- caregivers (e.g. family and friends) of those dealing with PTSD
- other providers and trainees as a teaching tool
- any professional who may work or interact with Veterans with PTSD (e.g., educators, clergy, police) as a way to sensitize them to military culture and PTSD
- anyone (students, Veterans, clients, etc.) interested in a career as a mental health provider
Additional Media and Materials
- AboutFace on Youtube for viewing on mobile devices.
- Congressman Charles B. Rangel: "This [AboutFace] initiative profoundly shows Veterans who may be struggling with PTSD that what they are facing is normal, many people are dealing with the same issues, and that help is available. It is my sincere belief and hope that AboutFace can help returning soldiers and Veterans."
- Former Under Secretary for Health, Dr. Robert Petzel: "Through the [AboutFace] videos, viewers meet Veterans and hear how PTSD affected them and their loved ones. But most importantly, visitors to this website can also learn the steps to gain control over their lives."
- Senior Advisor, National Center for PTSD, Dr. Matthew Friedman: "Because the Veteran does all the talking, clinicians have much to learn from AboutFace's unique perspective. First, these personal graphic narratives of what it's like to have PTSD are evocative and compelling. Second, these raw, disarming and unsparing descriptions of how PTSD affected personal trajectories and interpersonal relationships are very instructive. Finally, regarding Veteran perceptions of barriers to care and the therapeutic experience, AboutFace should help clinicians achieve a better understanding regarding the ambivalence that characterizes most treatment-seeking behavior and, most importantly, help them engage their Veteran clients with empathy, authenticity and humility."
You May Also Be Interested In
Get information on evidence based psychotherapies for PTSD.
Get key information and guidance on the best medications for PTSD.
Expert guidance for treating Veterans with PTSD.